Brochure Type: Luxury Gold 2019
Discover the history, cultural highlights and scenic beauty of this tear-shaped island, including visits to the local markets and the archeological marvel of Polonnaruwa. Stay in luxury in the misty hills of Nuwara Eliya, savour the freshest tea possible during a plantation visit and take in the wondrous mountain ranges from the Mahaweli Reach Hotel.
- Negombo: Join your Travelling Concierge and get to know your fellow travellers during your Welcome Dinner.
- Nuwara Eliya: Walk through the tea plantations and reach the home of a tea plucker to experience their lifestyle as you join the family for a local meal. The culinary experience is completely different to that of general Sri Lankan cuisine as the origin is from south of India.
- Colombo: Your mouth-watering Celebration Dinner features the best of Sri Lankan cuisine.
- Dining Summary: 8 Breakfasts (B), 1 Lunch (L), 5 Dinners (D) and 2 Dinners with Wine (DW).
- Negombo: During your guided tour of a local pineapple plantation, learn all about the cultivation and harvesting of this tropical fruit.
- Anuradhapura: With your Travelling Concierge you will visit the former capital of Sri Lanka, Anuradhapura. Admire the architectural wonders of this first-kingdom that rules for a thousand years.
- Sigiriya: Visit this famous fortress set upon its prominent rocky outcrop.
- Polonnaruwa: Your visit to the archaeological park will reveal what life in the area was like when the city was thriving, 800-years-ago.
- Dambulla: See Raja Maha Vihara - the most impressive of Sri Lanka's Cave Temples.
- Kandy: Visit the site of the Sacred Tooth Relic Temple.
- Kandy: Enjoy a traditional dance performance in the evening.
- Nuwara Eliya: Join your Local Expert to visit a tea plantation and learn how this crop is produced. You'll even have the opportunity to experience the traditional technique of tea-leaf picking, before sampling some of the freshest tea possible.
- Nuwara Eliya: The city is reminiscent of its British character - see the colonial-era bungalows and Tudor-style building with pretty gardens during your evening orientation with your Travelling Concierge.
- Galle: During your orientation of this UNESCO World Heritage Site see the ramparts of the fort.
- Galle: A Local Expert will guide you through your visit to Galle Fort, sharing with his passion for the city with you as you learn about the history and culture of this living fortified city.
- Negombo: Relax after your flight, at the fantastic beach-side Jetwing Beach. With spacious guest rooms and wonderful facilities, including a large outdoor pool and spa. This is a great place to start your holiday.
- Habarana: Offering bungalow-style rooms surrounded by greenery, Habarana Village is a perfect location to explore the Cultural Triangle. The hotel features an outdoor pool and facilities for tennis, volleyball and badminton.
- Kandy: Situated along the banks of Mahaweli River, Mahaweli Reach Hotel offers 5-star accommodation with rolling mountains as a backdrop. It features a large outdoor pool, Ayurvedic centre and fitness facilities.
- Colombo: Lakeside Colombo sits in the heart of Colombo, nestled between a lake and the bustling city, creating the perfect, urban getaway.
- Kandy: Enjoy a wonderful afternoon in the company of Rahju, a local artist, at his wonderful hilltop cottage overlooking the Hunas range and receive insider access to his private studio. Discuss art, mysticism, religion, and the cosmos with him over a cup of tea and let him show you how his work has been influenced by these themes and how it has evolved over the years. Enjoy a private viewing of Rahju's magnificent paintings. Enjoy a cup of tea at his studio and discuss his unique perspectives on life.
- You will be escorted by one of our fine Travelling Concierges, handpicked to serve as your expert guide, consummate organiser, and friend overseas. See booking conditions for exemptions.
- Personal radio headsets give you the freedom to wander during visits to famous highlights, without missing any of your Local Expert's fascinating commentary (Available on departures with more than 8 guests).
- Hotel and restaurant tips are included - you'll never have to worry about how much to give, nor search for foreign currency. We also include all taxes and porterage charges at hotels.
- Stay connected with friends and family with our complimentary coach and hotel Wi-Fi (where available).
- From time to time, your Travelling Concierge will enchant you with a Luxury Gold Flourish, which is a local speciality representing the destination.
- At every hotel, you'll be treated to seamless baggage handling, with prompt delivery inside your room.
- Complimentary, private airport transfers are included on start and end dates and when additional accommodation has been booked through Luxury Gold. Private transfers may be purchased when additional accommodation has not been booked through Luxury Gold.
Call (800) 979-2266 for more information or to book today! Mention code 14239109
- Tour Operator
- Luxury Gold by Insight
- Offer valid through 3/31/2019
- 9 Days
- Escorted - Yes
|Day 1||Negombo||Negombo, Sun, Sails and Sea.: Your complimentary, private transfer takes you to your local departure airport. On arrival at Colombo airport, you will be greeted and transferred to your hotel in Negombo. Take the afternoon to relax in this thriving fishing town. At 19:00, join your Travelling Concierge for a Welcome Dinner. (Dinner with Wine)|
Jetwing Beach, Negombo.
|Day 2||Habarana||Habarana and the Cultural Triangle.: Visit a pineapple plantation where you are taken on a guided tour of the estate. Continue to Habarana, in the centre of Sri Lanka's Cultural Triangle of UNESCO World Heritage Sites, an excellent base to explore the region. Visit the evocative Anuradhapura, Sri Lanka's first known kingdom and the former capital of the island. See the rich architectural wonders of dagobas, brick towers and pools built during the city's thousand years of rule over the country. (Breakfast / Dinner)|
|Day 3||Habarana||Rock fortresses and archaeological relics.: In the morning, travel to Sigiriya to visit the dramatic rocky outcrop of the famous rock fortress. This iconic ruin of an ancient civilisation rests on top of near vertical walls of a flat-topped summit and it is truly grandiose. Continue to Polonnaruwa, an archaeological marvel that reveals what life was like around 800 years ago when the city was the thriving epicentre of commercial and religious life. In the archaeological park, you'll see hundreds of ancient structures, tombs, temples, statues and stupas, its a sight to behold. (Breakfast / Dinner)|
|Day 4||Kandy||Cave Temples of Dambulla.: Journey to Dambulla to see the most impressive of Sri Lanka's Cave Temples, Raja Maha Vihara. Known for spectacular interiors filled with Buddha and Hindu statues, the site's history dates to 1 B.C. Reach Kandy and stop at a wonderful hilltop cottage overlooking the Hunas Mountain Ranges. Here you'll receive insider access to artist Rahju's private studio. Discuss art, mysticism, religion, and the cosmos with the artist himself over a cup of tea and see how his work has been influenced by these themes during a private viewing of his magnificent paintings. Continue to Dalada Maligawa, the Sacred Tooth Relic, to see this most sacred site to the Sri Lankan Buddhists. Here, enjoy a performance of traditional dance to the melodic drum. In the evening, dine at a local restaurant. (Breakfast / Dinner)|
Mahaweli Reach Hotel, Kandy.
|Day 5||Nuwara Eliya||Tea Plantations in Little England.: Your journey continues to Nuwara Eliya, where the rolling hills and cooler temperatures became a haven for English and Scottish pioneers of the tea industry. During your visit of a tea plantation, your Local Expert will show you how tea is produced today. At the tea garden, try your hand at the traditional technique of tea leaf picking, and sample some of the freshest tea possible. Walk through the tea plantations and reach the home of a tea plucker. Share a local meal with their family and learn about life in the tea plantations. In the evening, join your Travelling Concierge for an orientation of this quaint city, with 19th century architecture mimicking that of an English country town. (Breakfast / Lunch / Dinner)|
Grand Hotel, Nuwara Eliya.
|Day 6||Nuwara Eilya||Nuwara Eilya at Leisure.: Enjoy an entire day at leisure to relax or continue exploring as you wish. Your Travelling Concierge is on hand to assist with any arrangements. (Breakfast)|
Grand Hotel, Nuwara Eliya.
|Day 7||Galle||The Fortified City of Galle.: Journey along Sri Lanka's rugged south coast to the fortified Old Town of Galle, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. During your orientation, see the ramparts of the Galle Fort, considered one of the best examples of a living fortified city built by Europeans in south and south-east Asia. The rest of the afternoon is at your leisure to relax or continue exploring as you wish. (Breakfast / Dinner)|
Jetwing Lighthouse, Galle.
|Day 8||Galle||Galle Fort.: Join your Local Expert, a proud and passionate Sri Lankan, who will provide a deeper insight to Galle Fort and share the stories that make it 'a home for thousands.' In the evening, at a local restaurant, join your newfound friends and toast your travels during your Celebration Dinner. (Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)|
Jetwing Lighthouse, Galle.
|Day 9||Colombo||Leave Galle, Depart Colombo.: Your trip draws to a close after breakfast with a transfer to Colombo airport for your onward flight, or the Lakeside Colombo hotel for those continuing their stay. On arrival at your home airport, your driver will greet and escort you to your waiting car for your private transfer home. (Breakfast)|
- Notes: Twin prices are per person. Visas: Visas are required for this trip, please speak to your Travel Agent at time of booking to assess your requirements. Special Small Groups: All departures are limited to just 24 guests. (1a) Festive Highlight Dinner: Christmas Eve in Kandy.
- These prices are correct at the time of the website going live, however are subject to confirmation at the time of booking.
- All tour information is correct at time of tours going live, however is subject to change, please confirm all details at time of booking.
- For full terms and conditions, please refer to our Conditions page.
- Hotel Class Key: D: Deluxe SF: Superior First Class F: First Class